Trance 08 – 06 update!

A quick update to Trance 08, which means it’s now 06 (yaaaaay!). 🙂

Basically 05 was weird at the end of each 16-bar melody loop, so I fixed that. I’m also pushing the maximizer a bit less now, meaning it’s less straining to listen to. ^^

Trance 08 – 06


Trance 08 – 05, chord progressions and melodies and a secret track

Remember Cover 01 (2048)I’ve been a little quiet, so here’s an update on a few things! 🙂

I finished a track about a week ago, however it won’t be made completely public quite yet (but hopefully soon). It’s a piano and strings piece and it turned out really well, if you ask me. There’s a few reasons why I won’t post it here yet, but it is out there and you can find it if you look beyond this site. 🙂
I made a cover for it as well, which you can see out to the right.

I’ve also been working a lot on chord progressions and melodies, and I think I’m getting a lot more comfortable with that whole thing. The piano/strings piece I just mentioned is an example of that, but more so is this little thing I’ve been working on, that I probably have to turn into an actual track. So check out what is currently Trance 08 – 05 below. 😛

Trance 08 – 05

Some random trance creation: Trance 06 – 02

Just had a bit of a go on some random trance melody and such. I want to spend a little time crafting some random trance melodies, just to get a bit more comfortable with it, before I head back to work on Surge.

This little soundbite is an example of that, so go ahead and check it out! 🙂

Trance 06 – 02

Starset – Telescope mixing challenge result

I won! Pretty cool for my first venture into mixing – does give one a bit of confidence. 🙂

I’ll certainly be participating in some of the other challenges as time permits, so I can continue learning and improve my technique and know-how. There’s without a doubt still plenty of things to learn, not to mention the importance of experience. 🙂

A mixing challenge: Starset – Telescope

In a Studio One group on Facebook there’s these mix challenges happening every now and then. For the most recent one I decided to give it a go. Figured it’d be a nice little distraction to clear my mind of Surge for a bit, as well as a good way to learn more about mixing through simply doing it.

I haven’t mixed anything before, let alone of this type of music (pop/rock). I’ve only done random stuff to make the WIP’s I post sound somewhat decent, but no real mixing in any sense. It was a fun experience and I learned a good amount of things during it.

If you’re not familiar with what mixing (not to be confused with remixing and often confused as mastering) actually entails, it basically means taking all the source recordings and so on and making it sound good. 🙂
Adjusting volume levels and panning of the different elements in the song to give a good balance, as well as adjusting the volume of them during the track to create the proper “feel” and create a balance in that sense as well.
Applying EQ and sidechaining to make things sit properly and not overlap, creating space for the different elements.
Combining it all to make it “loud” while still maintaining dynamics and air… You know… Stuff like that!

Anyway, this is how the “original mix” sounds:

And this is the mix I created:

I’m generally pretty satisfied with the result. For a first try doing something like this, I think I managed pretty decently. There’s still things I could sit down and tweak, but the deadline (for the mix challenge) was approaching and it was time to just leave it. 🙂