More Prototype, talking about the changes made to the mix

Did a few minor things to the “mix” of Prototype. It was a bit “noisy” – probably too high saturation, so I toned that down a bit and made a few other minor tweaks. So before I go on and talk about the what I actually did to improve the overall sound, I’ll just throw the latest WIP. Feel free to let me know how you think this compares to WIP 66 and 75. 🙂

Prototype (WIP 76)

For shit and giggles here’s a screenshot of how this segment looks in my DAW currently.

Prototype_StudioOne_01

 

Right, so some of the major things I did between WIP 66 and 75 to improve the sound…

On the lead synth I vastly changed the EQ’ing. Mid/Side and Left/Right both being used. For instance the frequencies around 4-6k (give or take) have been boosted using left and right, meaning there’s two separate boosts a bit apart, one being for the left channel and the other for the right. This helps widen the sound and make it bigger. There’s also some general Mid/Side EQ’ing going on, mostly boosting the high frequencies again, but only the side, as well as low cutting the low frequencies (400 or so and down) in the mid. As you can see from the screenshot there’s 3 EQ’s on the lead. On for general tweaking, then the Mid/Side stuff and then Left/Right.
I added some more complex and heavy saturation to it as well, after the EQ’ing (before it was, yeah, before the EQ’ing), which has made the sound a bit fuller without dipping too much into the lower frequencies.

The basses, kick and such have also had some Mid/Side EQ treatment.

In general I tweaked track volumes and basically made sure there was more headroom before it entered the master bus.

On the master bus I went from using a single compressor (which was doing more heavy compression) to using two, that each do much lighter compression. The EQ’ing is between the two of them, but that hasn’t really changed much.
Made some changes to Presswerk and how it was doing its job, after having read the user guide and gotten a bit more knowledge about some of the settings.

Ozone is not active right now, but not for any particular reason. The current setup is just easier to work with (less CPU usage for instance) and is good enough right now.

Again it’s far from perfect, but it’s an improvement and I’ve learned quite a bit, so it’s another step taken on the road to becoming better. 🙂

All the Mid/Side EQ stuff is sort of painfully obvious, I just kind of never thought about it. Now that I have this in my toolbox it’s powerful knowledge I can use in more situations to control what’s going on. Likewise utilize Left/Right far more to help widen things or otherwise just have control.

Now, however, it’s time to start progressing more with the actual track…:)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s