The state of Prototype

I haven’t really revealed this site to anyone yet, but I’m getting ready to do so soon, and in light of that it’s time to talk a bit about Prototype and where it’s at.

A lot of things have happened since the post about it here (that probably nobody has seen since I haven’t told anyone about it), but it has progressed a lot. I would say I’ve learned a lot of production sound techniques during the time, elevating my sound to sound more professional. Not quite professional, but at least pretty decent I would say, and more to the point; way better than previously.

The track will also go through a lot of changes, basically the entire intro part I’ve been working on will be redone because I’ve made the breakout part and need to fit the track around that, and because I’ve changed the scale of the track as well (that happened as I was working on the breakout part).

I want to say this about Prototype: It is by far my best work to date. Both in terms of technical quality as well as musical quality. I really feel like I’ve taken a major leap from my previous attempts, which is really exciting.

Despite the track changing I want to post the state of the intro portion that I got, mainly because of the advancement I’ve made in producing music and because it’ll probably be a little while before I have something else new and exciting to show off.

 

This is what part of the intro looks like visually inside Studio One, if you’re curious.

 

As I said I have the breakout part made as well, or more specifically the synth and note progression. Right now it’s nothing more than the synth playing the notes (the synth sound might get a few tweaks still, but overall it’s there).
This is basically the part where the song hits its climax and everyone is supposed to put their hands in the air, or something. 😛 I did spend quite a bit of time trying to get something like that working (the whole “hands in the air” feeling) and I think I’ve reached something quite good in terms of that.

 

Now I need to reconstruct the track around that and see how much stuff from the current intro I can re-use. This change sort of came after asking my friend Arjen Lead for help, whom I’ve known since the Reason days from a Reason community. I was basically feeling a bit stuck with where I was and he told me that I should try and create the breakout part and get the melody and such in place, then build the track up around that. And in all honesty; that makes perfect sense. Up until now I’ve basically just started at the beginning, 00:00:00, with no idea where I was going and I ended up getting stuck each time. Hopefully doing this will allow me to have a better sense of direction about where I’m going with the song as I have the most important elements already, instead of trying to make it up as I go along and make it fit with what I’ve already made, which is probably just making things a lot harder for myself.

 

Also just for fun here’s the “artwork” for it in a bigger version:

Cover 02 (1000x1000)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s